Can you advertise on site hoarding? [Infographic]

0800 086 2517

When having construction work done you may want to know if you can advertise on your site hoarding. You can leave construction and site hoardings blank if you like, but there are many great reasons for using them for advertising and promotional purposes. These include their high visibility as well as their vast surface area. Site hoardings are often used to promote the company working on a project as well as the project itself. However, there are rules and regulations you’ll need to comply with if you do want to use site hoardings for promotional purposes.

When Advertising on Site Hoarding choose your graphics carefully

The rules and regulations on using site hoardings for advertising are mainly based on how the graphics look. The Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007 state that hoarding graphics qualify for ‘deemed consent’. Ads that have deemed consent are grouped into different classes. Each of these classes needs to meet certain criteria to be eligible for approval. You won’t need planning permission from your local authority if your hoardings meet the specific criteria.

Can you advertise on site hoarding

Do I have deemed consent?

Deemed consent does not apply if your hoarding is in certain types of area. You will need to express consent from your local authority if your hoarding is to be located in a Conservation Area, National Park, Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or an Area of Special Control of Advertisements. when it comes to advertising on site hoarding, deemed consent will only be given if the construction site is being developed for business, commercial, or industrial use. You’ll need to apply for consent if the hoardings are to be located on a residential site.

Site hoardings for construction sites

Construction site hoardings are referred to as ‘class 8’ advertisements. As long as certain guidelines are met, planning permission isn’t required. The graphics can’t remain on display for over 3 months before construction begins. They need to be a maximum of 38 square metres and can’t be placed over 4.6 metres above ground level. Three years is the limit for displaying graphics. 

You’ll also need to provide intent to display the hoarding advertising in writing at least two weeks before you start displaying your advertisements. You’ll need to send a copy of the planning permission for the project alongside this.

Other key requirements

You’ll also need to get permission from the site owner. If you’re placing the hoarding on highway land, you must seek permission from the Highway Authority. It must not make it harder for people to read official road signs or cause driving hazards. Careful removal is also essential. Planning authority regulations outline how removal must be carried out. You’ll need to keep the hoardings clean, tidy and in a safe condition.

Can I install hoardings without applying for planning permission?

It’s wise to apply for planning permission before you install a hoarding even if you think you might not need it. This is because local regulations can be very complex, so it’s best to err on the side of caution. Your local authority will tell you if you qualify class 8 ‘deemed consent’ before you go ahead and take any big steps. They should explain the requirements to you in clear terms so you can plan confidently.

If you do install graphics that don’t pass regulations, this can be very costly. You may lose a great deal of time and money. You may need to redesign your graphics and have them reprinted after removing the originals. This could make your advertising on site hoarding costly!

Who do I need to apply to? What do I do next?

Who you need to apply to depends on where you live. In most cases, you’ll need to contact your local county or district council. After you’ve spoken to the council about any restrictions and regulations you need to meet, you can start drawing up your plans. If you are outsourcing the design of the graphics, you’ll need to let them know about the restrictions so they can work around them.

Creating and submitting your proposal

Once your graphics have been designed, you can put your proposal together. The proposal should include information on where the graphics will be installed and whether they are to be illuminated. You’ll also need to send a drawing of how the graphics will look in context once they are installed. Once you’ve completed the application form and paid your fee, you simply need to wait for the decision to be given

The processing of an application can take up to eight weeks. You can expect a council official to visit your site to make sure the details you have given are correct. You’ll then be told whether your application has been approved or rejected.

Can I appeal after a refusal?

If your application is refused, you can appeal. You can also simply amend your proposals beforehand to improve your chances of approved at the second time of asking. If you feel the initial refusal was unfair, you’ll have 8 weeks to apply to the Secretary of State.

If the graphics have bold colours that don’t suit the wider environment or an aggressive tone, your application may be refused. You may also be turned down if graphics have large text or QR codes. If the graphics have taken the local surroundings into account, it’s more likely approval will be given.

How RTC Fencing can help

Talk to RTC Fencing today if you need help with site hoardings in Coventry, Peterborough, or Birmingham. We have been supplying and installing hoarding panels for many years and can help you ensure your site remains safe and secure. We can also provide you with advice to ensure your hoardings meet local council regulations. Site hoardings are great for promoting your project as well as for keeping people and equipment safe.

We can provide temporary hoarding for long and short-term hire. All hoardings are installed in line with the current HSE guidelines. Our team will install hoarding quickly and professionally with a minimal amount of disruption. 

Contact us today

Why not get in touch today for a free quote or site visit? You can reach us by giving us a call on 0800 086 2517. Alternatively, complete the contact form on our site.

Areas we cover